Our employees are the foundation of our success and with nearly 5000 people worldwide, including circa 600 contractors, our recruitment process needs to be straight forward and effective whilst ensuring a positive candidate experience.
We are a company that continues to develop its talents with backgrounds covering a wide range of disciplines and expertise paving the way for future leaders. We are committed to employing, retaining and developing the best talents in the industry.
At SBM Offshore, interviews may vary depending on the location, nature of role or the criticality of the position itself. However, we aim to ensure the application process is as consistent and simple as possible whilst at the same time adhering to our Ethics and Code of Conduct. The overall process will be:
Step 1 – Application Process
- Apply online. Make sure to read the Job Description thoroughly and ensure that you meet the minimum requirements for the role.
- Your application will be screened by a Talent Acquisition Specialist who has a deep understanding of the role, the culture and dynamics of the team. Your application will likely be reviewed by your potential manager as well.
- We may arrange a telephone interview with the Talent Acquisition Specialist or Hiring Manager to ascertain that you broadly meet these criteria.
- Your application process may include technical questioning whereby your responses will be reviewed and assessed in line with job requirements – typically, technical and operational roles will have this assessment.
Step 2 – The Assessment Process
This will usually be a face-to-face interview, however, with varying locations and time zones it may require alternatives such as video interviews. We feel it’s important for you to meet some of your potential colleagues up front, however, some teams are global and in different locations but we will ensure every opportunity is given for you to get a good feel for the working environment.
You should make sure you are clear on what and how you will be assessed and what is expected of you. It’s important to listen carefully and to ask questions if you are not 100% certain of what is being asked of you, be up front about this. Rest assured that asking a question won’t affect your assessment.
If you have been successful – Congratulations! Your recruiter will contact you to make a verbal offer.
At this verbal offer stage and assuming you accept this, we will conduct pre-employment screening checks, for example: educational qualifications, employment history / references and right to work in the region of employment. Some of our more senior roles or business critical roles may require a further level of screening but don’t worry, all this will be made clear in advance and you’ll have plenty of time to get the necessary information together.
Once you have passed our pre-employment screening, we will quickly follow up in writing. The welcoming process now begins and we’ll do all we can to help you prepare for your new role with us. As well as keeping in touch with you following your job offer, we’ll have everything ready for your arrival. You’ll meet your line manager on your first day and you will be introduced to your buddy, who will be someone who knows the ropes and will be a great point of contact should you need some help.
- Make sure your CV/Resume is up to date.
- Do make sure that you tailor your application for the role also, be certain to answer the questions in the application as fully as possible as this will help our specialist talent acquisition team (recruitment) team.
- It is absolutely essential that you complete your application form accurately and truthfully, including, if asked, all exam or module marks, dates and grades achieved. We often have to check these, so please be honest and up front with us.
- Preparation is always key. Visit our website, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and do some research on us. A job interview should be a two-way conversation and a two-way assessment, so you need to know as much as possible about us, the company and the role you’re applying for.
- We will do our best to respond to your application, but we can’t guarantee an exact turnaround time – but our commitment to you is that we will get back to you as soon as we possibly can.
- Finally – don’t be discouraged if you aren’t successful on your first application. We encourage you to keep checking the job in our careers pages, make sure your searches are as accurate as possible and carry on conducting your research on SBM Offshore – you never know what you might learn which may come in handy later on. Best of luck – we hope to hear from you soon.